Thread: 2009 Husabergs
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM

I'm probably going to get roasted for what I'm about to say, but there are two things I would like to address.

First, engine size doesn't always equal engine size. By that I mean that one 450 doesn't equal another 450. I have a 2006 Husaberg 450, along with a 2002 Gasgas 250. The Berg 450 is a woods weapon, I still prefer it to my GasGas in the really tight woods. The motor is magic. I would not consider any of the Japanese 450s as a woods weapon. I admit that setup is key, carb and suspension make all the difference. Also, I weigh 200lbs. (I wish my GasGas were a 300, so I am an admitted big bore bigot). I guess what I'm getting at is, give a Berg 450 a good try before wishing for a smaller motor. It is nothing like the major brand 450s. Husaberg made a 380 kit for the 450 up to 2008, and it got rave reviews, so Husaberg does realize the enthusiasts wish for the small bore four stroke. I've never ridden one, but would sure like to give it a try.

As to the PDS rear suspension, I'm not a fan. I've owned KTMs and Bergs with it, and always think, "if only I could have an Ohlins with a link". That being said, I have to say also that PDS can work pretty darn well, but it is VERY picky about setup. That includes spring rate, preload, and the clickers. My GasGas has the best suspension I have ever ridden or owned. If I could shoehorn in a 1986 KTM 350 motor into the frame, it would be my number one bike. Am I warped, or what?