View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
As above-Try keeping your lower legs in tight when standing,steer with your knees,be active with moving your weight around,and set your levers level with bars even if it feels too high(keeps the weight on the outside of palms and stops your wrists rolling forward and taking the weight on your thumbs-basically makes your "triangle" wider and more solid,as does keeping your elbows high)
Practice!
With time you will get used to that "hit" youre struggling with and learn to use it to your advantage
I also attended a chris birch day(highly recommended) and interestingly he was not a fan of bar risers and pointed out that virtually none of the top riders use them.Not sure if your bike has adjustable bar mounts,but if so,move them forward one position,lengthens reach and raises slightly.Most newer bikes the bar mounts are slightly offset so if you rotate mounts you get position 2.Some also have a 2nd hole for mounts giving positions 3&4.Chris recommended the 2 middle positions for virtually allriders as the closest and farthest positions start to compromise the handling/ergos.
Of course,he asks a bit more of his bikes than most of us could hope too!
He made the point that the manufacturers spend a lot of time and effort setting ergos up so the bike works well for a wide range of riders so moving too far away from standard is likely to have a tradeoff somewhere else...
I put the bike back together today. I can't get the brush guards to fit right, so I took them off and moved my levers in a bit, so I can shift and use the clutch without pinching my other fingers. Set the levers level or just a tiny bit below level. Got the bars set so it keeps my elbows out, not down.

Going to just ride it this way and make my body work with the bike and not the bike work with me. Knees tight against the bike seemed to help a LOT with riding and feeling connected to the bike. I never put my knees on the tank on my Harley.....But this is not a Harley, so time to stop thinking like it is.