View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 04:19 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

My second cheap KTM copy starter arrived.Did the 180 degree rotation to change rotation to clockwise & tried it.
https://youtu.be/frbNoDAyVac
Still not turning over great but worked.Recap of process-
All positive & negative leads replaced with bigger cable & clean all contacts & earths.
Ran new earth to starter motor mount.
Replaced stator(was ok in hind sight).
Lithium 240cca battery fully charged 13.4v
New AS3 bendix cover & doubled the gaskets.
Welded bendix shaft then got a OEM new bendix (which came welded).
Checked the bevel gear parts 17 & 20 engagement & greased.Checked bevel gear bearings are smooth & whole assembly with pinion gear operate smoothly.
filed & cleaned up sharp edges on the flywheel/ring gear.
Spent countless hours with shims,washers,gaskets & gear marking grease to check & correct engagement of parts.I am fairly convinced the main problem is the pinion gear & bendix bind up when under load.
I am thinking there are new bikes with the pinion shaft & bendix shaft not running parallel and/or distance apart not correct.Other bikes as they get hours up the shaft housings are getting out of round or sloppy causing binding.Both are made worse by small cables not getting enough power to the starter & the constant binding & load is burning out the starters.
The last starter I had I ruined by constant testing.It still spins up fast but has lost torque.I'm sure the new one will give up as well after a while.I am going to try fitting a low friction bush into each end of the bendix shaft housings & then machine down the shaft ends to fit.