View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

The 250 is easier to ride aggressively in the tight woods. The extra torque of the 300 makes traction more "touchy" while hard on the gas at lower rpms, expecially in rocky off-camber turns.

OMT: While the Rekluse is great in most situations, I can go faster in the tight single track, and climb hills better with the absolute clutch control that the lever gives me. The stock clutch lets me moderate power to the ground by using the clutch.

I did R&D work for Rekluse with my 2006 DE300 for 2.5 years. I liked the auto clutch a lot. Wheelie turns on 2' wide trail were a snap. When working trail, not having to deal with the clutch while stopping to staple an arrow to a tree, was a definite plus.

However, using a trials tire in the rugged Ouachita and Ozark Mountains in Arkansas, I had to drop my gearing to 12/48 (13/52) to be able to climb as well as I could with the stock clutch and 13/49 gearing. (I could climb hills better with Joshua's 250 with manual clutch, than I could with my 300.)

This would manifest itself the most when I had to stop in the middle of a steep hill climb, due to a mistake of mine, or of someone just ahead of me. With the 13/49 gearing that I like so well, and the absolute traction of a trials tire, the engagement of the Rekluse would result in an instant wheelie; not a good thing when one is already on a 45 degree angle.
I found that I could remedy this by dropping the gearing so that the forward speed at the time of the Rekluse's engagement would allow me to "crawl" up the mountain, keeping the front wheel on the ground.

I am now back to the original GasGas clutch set-up. I'm enjoying the extra control and flexibility of the manual clutch. (I'm also enjoying the ability to bump start the bike when taking off downhill.) High speed 180 degree turns (in tight terrain) are made faster and easier with a little fanning of the clutch.

The Rekluse and a trials rear tire are the ultimate set-up for "go anywhere" riding. You will get forward traction with little or no fuss.
However, for me in most conditions, it is faster and more fun with a manual clutch and a knobby tire.

Currently, I am preparing the parts to put a 250 top end on my 300. It's not a permanent thing, but just something I want to do for a while.

Good Riding and Best Regards!

Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/