View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
So, I'm loving the trials tire on techy stuff and up to 3rd gear trails. Beyond that, it just feels sketchy and gets no grip. It's easy and predictable to flat track around corners with this tire, but I don't think I'm as fast as with a knobby on this terrain. Any tips? Or is this basically the limitation of a trials tire? I'm running about 6-7 psi in it (Tire Balls).
I've done extensive testing with the trials tires and Rekluse auto-clutch over the the last four years.

I've found that they are the best overall combination for all around trail riding. As long as the trail isn't covered with half a foot of leaves, it seems to always get forward drive. I can dirt track on hard dirt or gravel better with the trials tire than with any other tire I've ever used.
I can also easily do a "doughnut wheelie turnaround" on an extremely narrow single track trail with this combination.

I've also found that, when the rocky hill climbs get really gnarly, unless I am geared pretty low (12/50), I can climb better with the manual clutch than with the auto clutch. (using the clutch to modulate traction)
With the auto clutch, especially using a sticky trials tire, if I have to take off on the side of a steep hill, the higher gearing makes me very wheelie prone.
With the manual clutch, I can use higher gearing (13/49 or 13/50) everywhere, and just slip the clutch to keep from wheelie-ing in the afore mentioned situation.

I have also found that, in most race situations, I can go faster with the manual clutch and a knobby rear tire (chosen to fit the terrain situation) than with the Rekluse and a trials rear. This is especially true in super tight twisty sections, which is really about the only place I will ride at 110% anymore. (The knobby tire, because of braking and "transitional" predictability, and the manual clutch because of the ability to modulate drive and traction with the clutch, which lets me push things right to the edge with a lot of throttle.)

My favorite knobby tires were:
soft terrain (Breezy Hills or anywhere in Louisiana): S12 front and rear
intermediate terrain (TrainRobbers): Bridgestone M401/M402 combo

Now, with the S-12 no longer being the same quality, and Bridgestone discontinuing the 401/402, I am going to have to experiment with some of your suggestions. However, when I found out about the Bridgestone situation, I looked around and bought two 401s and four 402s on sale; so I am probably fixed up for intermediate knobbies for a couple of years.

It's the soft terrain tires that I am going to have to test.
I am leaning toward the Maxxis SI tires as a first test subject.
Anyone have specific suggestions for Pirelli soft terrain (loam and deep sand) situations?

Those are just MY results and impressions, and are heavily influenced by my old, fat, and lazy riding style.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/