View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 11:47 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Cheers Nate! Many thanks, we will check that. The difference in turning resistance between his and my bike is significant. Mine is so easy to turn and his needs quite some force, no way to turn it with the fingers.

Is it necessary to take the ignition cover off to get the lower pinion gear and the little shaft out?
Yes Doc, remove 4-5 bolts and the cover will come off. 5 min. or so job. My recollection is that you have to remove the starter gear before the pinion gear will come out (if my memory is faulty, I'm sure someone will correct me!).

Remove the circlip (#22) and then use a heat gun on the stator cover around bearing #21. Then tap the case on a solid surface - the bearing should pop out, and the starter gear can be removed. Then you can pull out the pinion and gear. If the pinion bearing (#18) needs to be replaced, heat the outside of the case and tap on a solid surface as you did for the starter bearing. Some guys have made pullers of sorts - the heat gun worked for me.

Screw #26 is known to back off and create issues; per the MotoCenter video, welding the gear to the shaft is recommended so that the gear can't spin on the shaft.

Also, even though there is a machined lip and circlip (#22) that should space the starter and pinion gears correctly, I have experienced and know of others who have found that sometimes they are too tight - then the gears don't mesh correctly. I stuck a thin punch in there and tapped the starter gear "up" toward the circlip just enough so that everything could spin smoothly by hand.

This may be your problem, and you may not need to disassemble everything btw.

Also, you may need a new stator cover gasket when you reassemble.

Have success!

Jeff