Thread: Kokusan Blues
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Hey, that worked. My bad GG CDI, black sleeve, good GG CDI, red sleeve, KTM CDI, shifter kart CDI, and my 2K2 ignition. To answer a few questions, I also have a 2K3 ignition. It is presently on the bike, with another kart CDI unit. The 2K3 is brand new, including pickup sensor. Both ignitions gave the same results with the various CDIs.

I would like to thank the site member who goes by the name RichardCranium. I purchased the good GG CDI, 2K3 ignition, and a couple of other things from him. He's great to deal with.

I'm going to blather on a bit about these pickup sensors. Notice the metal strip on the flywheel, it's raised a bit. The pickup sensor is a magnet with a coil of wire around it. When this strip of metal passes through the magnets field, a current is produced in the coil. At the moment the tail end of the strip clears the magnet (the center of the pickup), the field collapses. This field collapse is what triggers the CDI. So, one can somewhat accurately time a CDI equipped bike statically by using this point on the rotor lining up with the center of the pickup. The piston/crank need to be at 1mm BTDC (or wherever you wish to set your timing) when the tail end of this strip is at the center of the pickup. In my experiences with a timing light, this does indeed work out.