Thread: KTM and Bajaj
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Being in the automotive industry for 27 years I've seen alot, I no longer even consider manufacturers in this fashion. I do understand the consumers perception of this, however, it is now a world economy and parts are sourced and assembled, machines are just not built anymore, merely assembled and often with parts that are sourced even from a manufacturers competition, as that component is built at a better price point by a company owned by another company that markets itself as whatever the genius marketing group knows will attract the American consumer.

marketing will always convince people to buy this or that but the point of origin is becoming more and more irrelevant on a yearly basis and I see it becoming mute within a decade.

I appreciate the GasGas line and the KTM line personally because they took the evo template from the mid 80's and did it over "their" way, creating and useful combination of parts ending in a machine that is unique in its implementation of a common design and creating a "peronality". KTM has leveaged that IMO to become what it is, they have stayed ahead on the development side eclipsing IMO the "asian" manufacturers. If not for GasGas, I would certainly have chosen a KTM as the "jap" big 3 have no offering to competed on the segment of riding I enjoy.