View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 PM

I am a little weird when it come to my bike maintenance. I use a 4 prong approach: I guess it come from all my years in the transportation field while in the Marine Corps. Being combat ready is a big deal

1. Cleaning = can't find problems with a dirty bike, muck hides problems

2. Inspection = Keep a note pad handy during the cleaning process to write down issues and concerns you find during cleaning.

3. Corrective Mantenance = Corrective maintanence is identifiing a fault;
Why did the wheel bearing fail? no gease? Wore out wheel seal? Missing master link? Chain not aligned properly? Chain rubbing on chain guide? Pipe rattling?

4. Perventitve Maintenance = Setting up a plan to inspect, service and replace items on the bike to prevent from failing under normal operations. Replace brake pads, bleed / replace brake fliud, replace piston / rings, reed pedal inspection.

I spent more time cleaning after a ride. If I race a 2 hour harescramble, then I will spend at least 6-8 hours on my maintenance program.

I spend several hours washing, detailing my bikes after riding or racing. I use a pressure washer, Dawn dish soap, Simple Green to get the muck off.

Before a wash the seat is removed, air filter is removed and a cover goes on to keep water out of the intake track, seat back on and I wash. I keep my note pad handy to make notes of damaged items (if any) while I am washing the bikes. I use a fine and very fine green / brown pads to scrub the entire bike. I do it this way, for example; clean each spoke, (take note if I find any loose spokes, brake pad wear) I will also lay the bike on it's side and clean the entire under carriage and also perform inspection. I will remove the tank / shrouds and wash the back bone of the frame as well, this also serves as a inspection of all the wiring under the tank area.

I use my air compressor to blow dry the bike

If I see corrision on push / pull connection for wiring, I will make a note and during my maintenance phase correct the problem, by using a small rifle / pistol bore brush cleaner to brush off corrosion, reapply electrical grease.

The owners manual has a section of items that should be checked and how often. This is a great tool to use. I think most people just think that they don't need to refer to this section, because they think they know it all

Others it could be very helpful for one to build an checklist of items to look at either after the bike has been cleaned or before the next ride.

I like to use my summer break to do a complete tear down, regrease, inspect, replace, items that have high failure rate. Which on a GasGas is not much! My Yamaha, has been pretty solid so far.

I will spend as much time as I need in the evenings to work on both bikes. It is easy for me, as my wife and I have no kids at home, in college or working, but have all moved on.

I don't concern myself with how many hours I work on my bike. I will turn on the radio in the shop close the doors and be just fine working on the bike....replacing safety wire is relaxing!!!

I like for my bikes to look good, perform and be ready to ride when I unload it off the trailer.

I have said this before, I will say it again, my GasGas EC 200 has been the best rock solid bike I have ever owned. It is 13 + plus years old and it is still a very soild machine, having a solid maintenance program helped maintain the bike what it is today.

If you don't put in any time into it, don't expect it to last!

Sorry for the rant, but taking a little pride in your machine goes a long way
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals