View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 09:45 AM

Default Jetting questions and considerations

Question to you all but especially @Jakobi (who has excellent knowledge about jetting).

After ten years of jetting KTM's and now more or less new to GasGas and the needles which are used I have some questions. Of course I could use KTM needles but I lost all my data about them and I try to solve a problem with a buddies bike. But let me tell you some facts first.

My buddy does not want to buy a JD kit which I use in my 300 successfully.

The problems with his 300 were the same that I had: excessive fuel consumption, blubbery and overly rich down low! No figures, no discussion necessary.

On both bikes I adjusted the way too high float level and did the James Dean loop. That didn't change much. It was good with the JD_red needle on mine and even better with the NECW needle on his. We both ride a lot in first and second gear doing slow tricky stuff with small throttle openings.

The original N1EF (clip 3) needle everyone seems to hate worked good and I still like it but its way too rich down low from closed to 1/4 throttle and it gives bad response. Dropping the needle one clip helped here but made it too lean in the mid range. I admit I did not test a smaller pilot jet and left the 42 installed.
My bike is fine with the JD_needle and a bigger main jet but as he didnt like to spend money I purchased a NECW needle as it has been recommended after some discussions on TT.
I installed it in 3rd position, tweaked the air screw and let him ride for about 3 hours and another 3 hours a day later.

Fuel consumption was significantly lower, even better than on my bike, response was super crisp. But there was a slight, just noticeable hesitation in the transition when the throttle was opened over 1/4. Kinda flat spot that is caused by a lean condition. He did not like that and I wasn't sure which needle to try next as I had given my complete Keihin needle kit to the new owner of my previous KTM. In TT a NECH was recommended but I did not buy one as it is the same as the NECW just with a richer starting diameter. So that in my opinion makes no sense.

I am not familiar with the NECx and NEDx needles nor am I familiar with N3Ex needles.
Thanks to Jakobi I learned the NEDx is a triple taper, which I'd prefer over single or dual taper needles. Allegedly it is crisp down low but has a richer mid range.

What puzzles me, I have been told that NECx and NEDx are the same except that NEDx is a clip (or a half) richer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

PS: If I had not lost my hand written jetting book that contained 10 years of experience with KTM needles the bike would already be perfectly jetted. but I lost all the info about the differences of the KTM needles, so start more or less from zero

PPS: learned that the JD_jetting_sheet can't calculate NECx and NEDx needles.