View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 05:45 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli11 View Post
My needle shows to be a N1EF. I've yet to find that needle marking on any Keihin site. Stock needle shows to be 48-DDJ.
Stock jets should have been 55/170
Is the N1EF some after market needle? i don't find the needles NECW, or NEDJ you recommended either. I'm missing something somewhere. I'm looking at OEM Keihin parts.
The 170 main jet will not be large enough, even in hot weather for your bike. Your AS1 carburetor demands more fuel at open throttle high rpm running. People running the 170 main jet are using the AS2 carburetors, and not running WFO for 10 seconds or longer. I never used anything smaller than a 175 main jet in a GasGas bike with an AS1 carburetor for anything other than jetting tests.

A 50 or 55 pilot jet will have most off-road riders fouling plugs quickly and repeatedly, as their riding is often still partially using the idle circuit.
Good acceleration, yes. Clean bottom end running, no. Try a 42 pilot jet first, and if you still want to go larger, try a 45. (I got a better drag race result using a 45, but got longer plug life and less exhaust spooge witha 42. Below a 42, I couldn't get the bikes with the AS1 carb to idle at all without raising the slide and needle out of the strictly idle circuit of the carb with the throttle stop screw.

The N1ED, N1EF, N1EG jet needles are not from Keihin. They are from Kawasaki for a 1998 KX250. You can see them in the OEM parts lists on major parts houses such as rockymountainatv.com (and others) as "optional" jet needles. They are for racing MX, and not meant to idle or be especially smooth in their transition from low rpm to mid-range.

Additionally, the other jet needles mentioned in the forum (and in my post above) can be found the same way; by looking in the OEM Parts diagrams in online retailers' web sites for optional jet needles for YZ250 and RM250 2-stroke bikes. That's where I found the NEDJ and NECW jet needles.
You'll have to look at specific years of the YZ250 and RM250 to find all the selections of jet needles for the Air Striker Keihin carbs that we are talking about. (unless someone here can point you to a specific model for a specific jet needle). These jet needles are not available from Keihin as OEM Keihin needles. Those jet needles are the DDK, DDL, and such that you will see in the Sudco catalog.

Good luck and good riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/