View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Default 2012 300 Review......WOW!!

OK guys, after reading some postings on this forum that tend to focus on a few of the petty shortcomings of the 2012 I figured that I would take the time to come on here and throw in my two cents about the new 2012 300 Race Model. I will start this review by saying that if you are on the fence about purchasing, or considering choosing another brand because the wait time is longer than expected then you are making a huge mistake. This bike is worth the wait.

The amount of time that I have on the bike basically consists of one race, an 80 mile enduro in NJ that due to a burn happy club didn't end well. (that's a whole other story) I can honestly say that in all my years of racing I have never come across a bike that is so race ready right out of the box. The only thing that I did to prep it were add Hand guards, rad braces and a BRP chain guide and sprung it for my weight.

Ill hit on a few upgrades to the bike that haven't really been mentioned too much that stand out and make the bike a big improvement over previous models.

New Linkage/Chassis: WOW does this bike handle well. The taller stance and better ground clearance make rutted corners no problem. Dragging foot pegs is a thing of the past. It seems very well balanced and the new linkage keeps the wheel on the ground better producing much more out of corner traction.

Magura Clutch: I am a clutch fanatic and the new master cylinder gives a much more consistent and smooth feel.

Rear Brake Pedal: Gives a much more "tight", positive feel. Stiff spring helps fight brake dragging.

Seat: The seat is flatter and taller. Aside from being much more comfortable it gives you more a feeling of sitting on the bike than in it.

Looks: People couldn't stop looking at the thing I had several people come back for a second round of looking at it just to take pictures. I can assure you if you own one of these you will have the best looking bike at the races.

Ill finish up by saying that if the radiator shrouds popping out of the grommets is going to keep you from buying the bike then shame on you. That thing can flap in the breeze all day for all I care. (by the way mine never came out once)

The only Issue that I had all day is the the jetting seemed to be a bit rich for my liking but I'm sure I can sort that out pretty quick.

If you guys have any questions about setup or the 2012 in general ill try to help out the best I can. Maybe I can take a little heat off of Clay. haha

-Jeff