Thread: Body armour
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenorton View Post
Try the Forcefield body Armour. Because its soft it doesn't rub. When I first used it it was bizarre, it was like rolling downhill wrapped in a duvet. I have never understood the argument for hard outer, soft inner armour. I'm not a turtle. I know it is supposed to spread the impact over a wider area, I think all it does is pass the impact to the joints.

Armour is a personal thing dependent on too many factors including ,faith and belief as well as knowledge. If you survive a fast tumbling fall, was it the armour or luck. What we need is someone to act as a test dummy. No not me.All they have to do is say 10 jumps off the bike at, say 60mph onto hard soil with boulders , then repeat with the different suits.

How does that soft armor perform against hard pointy impacts? I have heard of some new generation soft armor that changes density when gets a hard hit.
A few weeks ago I tried to ride thru what looked like a small leafy broken branch crossing the trail and got jousted off my bike by a downhill pointing tree tip that was maybe 2" in diameter, and turned out to be the top of a 50' lodgepole pine. It hit me square in the middle of my old Fox Airframe hard plastic roost guard. I was unscathed, but wonder what would have happened without that plastic barrier.
The Fox CP is ok but does not offer very good side protection, and I still end up with damaged ribs every now and then. Therefore, tomorrow I'm picking up a new A-stars A-8 protection vest. It has at least some side protection and will integrate with a Astars neck brace when I upgrade my system.
I'll get back with a review when I get some crash time in the new rig.