View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I used to own a "Dangerously Modified" (tm) KDX220R (RB-Designs head squish mod, carb mod, Pro Circuit torque pipe and an FMF rev pipe, VF3 reeds, etc) up until last spring. Great bike. I even put a set of 1998 KX250 forks on the front end and upped the shock spring as well.

I raced it in several enduros and it did me just fine. The only thing it lacked was that oomph explosion of power when I'd turn a corner and see a line of whoops that I needed speed to skip over but instead had to suffice with rolling the first couple.

When I got my 2005 DE250, I found that it was actually easier to ride (and that was before I recently got it resprung for my weight). The compactness of the GG and the extra ponies helped in most situations. The GG turned waaaay faster, and I used far less energy during difficult rides.

The KDX did have some low-end, slow-speed prowess that I miss a bit, but the 300 (vs the 250) should make up for that.

Lastly, be prepared -- I still miss my KDX. Get over it. Move forward (and try to bum rides off of any KDX you might bump into over the next few years).

I sold it to a guy in California who bought it for his "girl friend" (sure he did). He sent some pics a couple of weeks ago. Here he is riding it in some nasty stuff near Lake Piru in California. He said the rains washed out the trail so they had to be creative in this section.

He added blinkers. Kalifornia is crazy.

Rick