View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox76y View Post
I just got mine fixed for the 2nd time in 12 months. This time by a different tuner. He informed me the reason it leaked this time was because whoever fixed it last time didn't put enough oil in to keep the pressure on the seal that separated the oil and gas,this resulted in the seal eventually leaking.
So it pays to have someone that knows what they are doing..
That doesn't really make sense.

The shock body holds a certain volume of oil, some of which is in the N2 ressie at full extension. The rest of the n2 ressie is filled with around 10 bar of nitrogen.

If the seal has been leaking, the oil volume drops in the main body and ressie. This means the dividing piston in the reservoir also moves back towards the body more, and the N2 now has a larger volume to act on.

If you lose enough oil or have air in the system is can cause the seal head in the shock body to pull back into the body which can cause some wear on the surfaces.

The seal lip definitely works better with pressure acting on it from the oil side, but the whole thing becomes a bit chicken and the egg. It's not easy to say if the previous tuner didn't bleed it properly, didn't set the floating piston height correctly, or if you've simply had a seal fail which has then thrown out everything else.