View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 AM

From my experience, in 2002 through 2006, the bikes came with whatever pipe the factory put on them. There really was no "system" to it as far as I could tell, just whatever was on the shelf in Spain that week. Some came with GG pipes, some came with FMF pipes. (The MC's came consistantly with the Messico however.)

The bikes seemed to be a little bit different with each production run.

Matts got it about right in his breakdown of the EC and DE. I think there is a misconception out there that these are completely different bikes... they're exactly the same frame, motor and suspension. The only difference between the EC and the DE is that the DE lacks the 5 miles of wiring harnesses that are on the EC model and it has the low watt MC stator.

Which brings up the MC... it has a 19" rear, stiffer suspension, a higher compression head and sharper ignition curve, with the same wattage output as the DE. (At one point the MC had a different 4 speed transmission, but for 2005-06 came with the same 6 speed in the EC/DE.)

IMHO, If you ride open and fast, the thing to do is get an MC and customize it up. If you ride tight and mucky, get an EC and strip off the wiring you don't want. That simple.

The DE just seems to be a redundancy to me.