View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 AM

I've got an off road dainese suit which includes the back protector.

I spent the extra cash after a friend recalled a story on a downhill MTB hitting a tree with his back (flying through the air backwards) at 30-40mph and I have every reason to believe his dainese back protector stopped him breaking his back. (while I'm not sure other back protectors would have??) He still has to be air lifted to hospital and was unconcious for quite a long time.

My Dainese has some sort of aluminium structure that is quite complex and hard plastic outer panels that interlock (to prevent your back flexing backwards too much) and breaking your back.

Dainese spend £££££ on testing and I doubt if any other manufacturers do - all other off road suits / back protectors seem to copy dainese but in style not design and probably not crash protection as well as Dainese, for example I don't know if anyone else has copied that honeycomb aluminium structure yet?

As a bonus Dainesee also pay a lot of attention to comfort and my suit has a soft grey mesh material so is comportable against the skin while a lot of the mesh used on other stuff feels horrible in comparison.

My suit is now about 5-6 years old and has been repaired (stitching) a couple of times - once due to stitching comign away once to repair tears from branches - dont' know how long other suite last but I think 6 years is good....
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)