View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 AM

I had my '03 done and it turned out great, but there are a few things you should know.

First, the frame can trap water, from both riding and washing. There are some small vent holes in the tubing that are used as a relief when it it welded at the factory. First thing I did was scrub the frame down good with Simple Green, rinse out these areas as best as possible, and dry the frame on a heat sorce to drive out all moisture. This is important because if there is trapped moisture when the powder is baked, it will blow out these holes and ruin the coat. Make sure everything is completely degreased.

Next I removed all weld spatter with a small chisel.

Use bolts and flat washers to cover the inside motor mount and coil mount tabs so you don't have to sand the PC off later. You can remove the steering head races, but its not necessary. Block the inside of the steering head with large stoppers. These will be removed after spraying and before baking. Coaters that do frames regularly may have their own.

Finally, I let the coater sand blast and clean the frame before coating. He indicated that about half the nickel plating was in poor adhesion, and would have flaked off. What was left was sound and not worth the time to remove.