View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM

I use a double system.

An elastic back brace from your local Walgreens, Walmart or Sports Authority. On top of that is another block & tackle brace that I can really cinch down that I got from my chiropractor. I use this to reduce the compression shock on my back and bulging disks which irritate nerves which send impulses to surrounding muscles.

After the ride, *any* sensation of soreness is treated with ice, ice, and more ice. Those large freezable packs in a cloth bag with elastic is what I use. Never on direct skin. And I usually wrap that with my elastic brace to transfer the cold better. Watch out for burned skin. I don't tend to use any analgesics unless it is very bad.

What I am trying to do with the ice is to calm the nerve impulses tbat are caused by my bulging discs irritating them. The ice also reduces the amount the muscles contract (which causes the nerves to be even more irritated).

One last tool. I have an $80 inversion table from Big 5 Sports. I use this for 20 seconds at a time to release a bit of pressure. Some hanf upside down for many minutes. I get all I need in a much shorter time.