View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Out for good: Shatzker Gd 6 tibial plateau and 4 transverse process fractures....

I've contemplated giving up dirtbikes everytime I have an injury- which seems to be more often than my riding buddies.
Broke my scaphoid 7 months ago, had it repaired, no sequelae. Had sold my Beta 250 prematurely, missed my buddies so bought my old '13 300 from a mate.
Fixed it all up and installed Jakobi's KYB's ( after spending some more $ on more custom spacers).
Fast forward 0600 27th December. Was on call overnight ( finishes at 0600), my mate picks me up and we drive 2 h to a state forest to meet my bro and another friend.
Having a hoot. We do all the challenging stuff and have ridden for about 3h.
Heading along a firetrail to a lookout ( for 'lunch'), I give the 300 a bit of throttle, next thing I'm screaming just prior to a very severe impact with a tree, and them another tree.
As I'm the slowest, I'm at the back of the pack.
I hit the deck very hard and am winded.Talk myself through breathing. Lie there knowing something is very wrong with my left leg and my right loin.
Cant move, just watching fuel dribble out from the carby hoping someone comes back for me soon!
The cavalry arrive and drag me to a fallen tree to sit on.My leg is crunching but bearable as I preemptively splinted it! ( POD K4's). I keep thinking creepy crawlies are biting me on my right loin ( it was pain from the T12-L3 transverse process fractures).
No phone reception, so I'm kept company for the next 2 hours whilst my bro' and a mate ride out( 25km), go to his brother in laws farm, borrow their Landcruiser, and somehow manage to get it to me. After a very painful trip through the bush, we are met by the ambulance.
I get cannulated an given a small dose of morphine ( I told them I was a lightweight). Instant nausea. No more thanks.
Go to Bowral Hospital, speak to the Police, a couple a docs, get a CT and then transferred to the trauma centre ( Liverpool Hospital).Get procedural sedation ( ketamine/propofol) to get the brace off and backslab on.
Surgery the next day. Get myself transferred to a private hospital soon after for respite ( so my family can get away on the family holiday we were all meant to go on!).
All in all not an experience I would wish on anyone, it's a long road to recovery ( 3 months non weight bear ie no work) BUT I am alive, and lucky I am not more severely injured. I put that down to wearing a good helmet ( Airoh), Klim gear, Acerbis body armour, knee braces and Gaerne SG10's.Oh, and Knox gloves.
This was totally an 'accident' - unlike my scaphoid fracture which was the result of me riding beyond my skill level.
Not sure why I'm sharing this with you all. No cautionary tale, maybe just catharsis.
Three things for sure: wear good gear, dont ride alone- or if you must, make sure there is either phone reception, you have an EPIRB and people know where you are.The third being, accidents actually DO happen.
No photos soz, just imagine what happens when your tibia is driven up into your femur.....
*Schatzker....sorry, spelling pedant!

Last edited by jpgibson; 01-16-2019 at 09:34 PM.