View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 12:13 PM

Default Gas Gas Contact es 250

Hello To all.

I'm new here and I live in Malta, I'm looking for a light and trail capable bike to replace my CRF250L, currently i was set to get a Beta Alp 200 (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktSVwkKil1E&t=1s ) it's a cross between a trial bike and trail. I always fancied a trial bike, incredibly light and capable machines but for some reason they all look intimidating for me.

Recently by luck I discovered that a Gas Gas dealer recently opened in the island and the first bike that came into my mind was the Randonne, unfortunately i discovered that these are not into production anymore, such a shame. the dealer instead had the new Contact Es (road legal ) complete with seat, needless to say i was impressed by it and it looked impressive, super light and very well made. after a minute tough doubts started to come, I ask the dealer if it's a handful to ride it on the road he immediately sad ''No, not at all'' then i asked him if it's capable to ride it at least at 80km/h and his response was '' yes of course, why it wouldn't'' then i really was asking myself if this guy is trolling with me or he really mean it.

i asked about road usage because in order to go to my favourite trails i need to get to the street first, some of them are least at 15km away, i asked also about fuel range and he told me for were i'm planning to go it won't be a problem but he didn't gave me a definite answer or the fuel range, worst case he told to carry some oil so when i get to the pump then i mix the oil into the tank when refuelling.

I'm also new to 2 stroke's so I'm worried if the Contact 250 would be too much for me, I'm afraid that the first twist of the throttle would end a flip over.

I also noticed and later discovered that the road legal version( maybe only here in EU) The bike comes with two exhaust manifold's and another carburettor, the manifold that came pre installed with the bike is for the Homologated setup which it comes black painted and it has some sort of flexible pipe and breather attached to it at the front but very unobtrusive and merely visible also the carburettor has something different but i didn't ask what, the guy at the shop didn't seem to be mechanical minded. the other manifold and carburettor are for a full power setup i assume.

So, my question is. what's the top speed of the Contact Es 250? can be ridden moderately without risking to blow up the motor?

what range I'm looking at with a 3.5 litre's of fuel?

If the radonne was still available I think i would have done the order u put my cash on the desk,why the hell gas gas stopped producing it?

I'm no expert rider when it come's to offroad but I would like to improve and with a light and trial capable machine i think I might double the fun and improve my skills, i got tired to the heaviness of the CRF and tall seat, I'm only 32 inch inseam so a low seat is very much preferred.

So should i stick with the plan of buying the Beta Alp or the Gas Gas might work for me? I spend 2 good days thinking about the Contact since I first laid my eyes on it and imagine how many more places i could go through with such a light machine but I think I may make a mistake to take it instead of the alp.

So I'm open for suggestions and thought's about it, any advice is welcome.

Kind Regards

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas Gas Contact.jpg (124.2 KB, 8 views)