Thread: Spark Plug
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
I've never replaced the plug. I'd expect the engine to be need a major overhaul before the plug needs changing! Unless it's damaged it probably wont even need cleaning. Just check the gap.
I agree with iancp5. A lot of people waste a lot of money on plugs. With a regular plug (non-iridium or platinum) look at the center electrode and the ground tab for wear. The spark will actually erode these surfaces and they will start to appear rounded (compare to a new plug with nice squared-off edges). That is the sign that it's time to replace. With Iridium and Platinum plugs easily lasting 100,000 miles in the automotive they would probably never get to the point of needing replacement in a dirtbike.
I haven't changed the plugs in either of my 2-smokes for 4yrs +/- but I do carry spares
With that said, why change a good plug? All new parts have a certain percentage failure rate. Although rare, you might take your old one out, replace it, and the new one might drop an electrode after 20hrs.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)