View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post

Of course I had to miss one of the bolts holding the cases together even after being sure I had them all! It just had to be done. No wonder the cases wouldn't part and it felt much harder than I imagined it would. Luckily I didn't perserver too much. I admit I was stupid enough to work on it longer than I should have though. I'm just gratefull I didn't crack the cases or anything stupid.

You won't do that again

The main bearing on the flywheel side of the engine decided it wasn't playing the game and is still on the crank, with no bearing in the case. Is it ok just to use some heat and hold the bearing in the vice while pushing the crank back out?

Sure, or use a split bearing puller ... but heat will help in any case.

And.. The other side of the crank needed to have the keyway removed before it would press back out. The manual makes no reference at all to this. Is it just a press fit back in at the end? I'm worried it'll fall back out.

The key should be a snug fit in the keyway. If not, replace or perhaps use a dab of bearing retainer.

So after all that, I am where I want to be. A little wiser to the whole process, and ready to go and drop the crank in at the shop tomorrow morning.

Watch that the little plastic shift bushing in the lower rear part of the case is still there when you re-install the shift shaft.

Awesome progress and better reporting
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Last edited by twowheels; 04-20-2013 at 07:36 PM.