View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM

I got home Friday night and took my starter apart. The one brush had corrosion and I cleaned it up so it would make contact with the armature. Cleaned everything up and made sure the brush that was "stuck" moved freely. Put it back together and it started right up!

Looks like water got in there and the small spring that holds the brush against the commutator was frozen. I usually start the bike after washing, but didn't this last time.

I also use a 3000 psi steam genny, so that isn't going to happen again. I see where the starter and the electrics for that matter, could leak some water. I am going to modify this design somewhat. I think the electrics are going to get a liberal dose of some RTV sealant around the plastic housing of the electrics, and on the starter. After 10 years , 8 sitting, the black seals/gaskets/O-rings have become weak on the starter. The positive terminal on the starter looked to be the main culprit though. That is where the brushes are.

Called Go Fasters, and the guy removed the e-start from my order. I still needed the kicker, so that is coming.