Thread: What is what?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 AM

First remember I am no expert!

When setting suspension I usually back compression off quite a lot. How much depends on your springs. I have harder springs than standard so I would start with compression wound right off to zero on the clickers. I'd then set rebound to stop bouncing - you can get it quite close just pushing down & releasing the suspension yourself and making sure it doesn't oscillate. Fine tune on a track so it neither packs nor kicks - whoops are a good test. Then set compression (high speed in your case) so it doesn't bottom very often on the bigger hits, small jumps etc. Low speed I would just try and get it to feel plush over small stuff.

I think you need to have the springs right first though. You also want to set the oil height and preload on the forks so you use a good bit of travel on the type of terrain you ride. Rear preload you can measure to set correctly (only works with correct springs) but my forks always seem to have too much stiction to be accurate setting sag by measuring. There's no one correct setting, depends on rider and terrain. Without a mobile workshop & test track like you race it's a lot of slow trial and error. I often run a larger air gap than standard (120mm on Marz 45mm) to use a bit more travel on my woodland terrain, I have very few big hits or jumps.