View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 AM

Bike year & model = 2011 EC300E fitted with 36mm carb and reed block spacer
Temperature (degF) = 60 - 70 F, 0% humidity?
Elevation (feet) = 3000f, or 900-1200m
Main jet = 172
Pilot jet = 40
Needle & notch =JD Blue #3
Air screw setting = 2.25 turns out
Throttle valve/slide = 6.5 notched

Results:
Great torque off the bottom. Pulls from right down low, smooth transition through all circuits. Burbles ever so slightly just off idle. Slightly lean? At approx 1/4 throttle not too noticeable. Pulled hard from bottom through mid but seemed to die up top, would rev out but not make power. May try going one step leaner on the pilot and also one step leaner on the main.

Edit:

I went one step leaner (38) on the pilot, didn't like it, lost a lot of the torque and had trouble getting it to idle nicely so I've gone back to the 40.

Went one step leaner (170), has made a noticeable improvement to the top end though I still think I could go one step leaner again. I'll leave it alone for now though as I'm hapy enough with it for now.

Edit again:

On the weekends ride (same altitude though about 5 deg / 10 f cooler) was hitting reserve at 70k's using jetting of 40p, JD Blue #3, 170m. Also the slightly lean feeling I believed I had at 1/4 was actually rich. Now I've installed the Motion Pro T3 throttle cable I dropped the pilot to a 38 and wound the as in to between 1.5 and 2 turns out, dropped to a 168 main. Made no noticeable difference to the bottom, as in still an awesome torquey unstallable tractor but the mid and top end did improve noticeably. I then got 75k's to reserve.
Still felt slightly rich so I raised the clip to #2. Really really happy with this jetting now, I've finally woken the top end up and improved the mid range in the process, can now loft the front wheel as high as I want from any throttle position in 3rd gear and the power delivery is nice and linear without any burbling, surging, knocking etc. Occasional pipe bang once in a blue moon on steep down hills as the bike comes back down to idle speed in 1st gear, but only once in a blue moon.

Last edited by n_green; 09-16-2012 at 05:18 PM.