View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Also something else is that when I first got the bike I tried to set the float however I think I've messed it up somewhere because when the bike is on it's stand leaning to the side the fuel will leak out of the overflow pipe which I'm sure isn't meant to happen?
Your float height is either improperly set, or the viton tipped needle is worn out/hardened.

It's hard to even guestimate whether those jetting settings are lean without elevation, humidity and temperature data. However, if you're below 4000ft, I'm going to say you're lean. However, sputtering is indicative of rich which I'm going to attribute solely to that needle. Drop it (put the clip higher on the needle to lower the needle) one clip at a time without changing jets. This will lean the bike out. If it is bogging however, start raising the needle. Bogging sounds kind of how it is spoken.. "BAAWWWWG.."

If you get to the bottom clip position, you need a richer main jet. If you get to the top of the needle, you need a leaner main jet. (Fixed) More information on this: Clip positions are numbered from top to bottom 1 being leanest, 5 being richest. 3 is, obviously, right in the middle.

Changing from 40:1 to 50:1 increased your FUEL to AIR ratio. The 2 cycle oil in the gasoline is neither fuel nor air. Point here is, you made it run richer by using less oil. The downside is.. you're using less oil...

Finally, your last misconception is that the BR9 is hotter than a BR8. It is opposite. The lower the number on an NGK spark plug, the hotter the plug is. The number indicates the plugs ability to dissipate heat. The higher the number, the longer the insulator is, and the more heat the plug is able to "absorb." You say that by putting a colder plug in, you solved your sputtering problem, but I believe your previous plug was merely fouled. Moving forward, I sincerely suggest you stick to one oil ratio and one spark plug. The BR8 is a perfectly sound plug, and hotter than the one you're currently running. All in all, the changes you've made are minuscule and inconsequential.

Poof. Also, good luck.

EDIT: I just saw another post of yours. You're in England, so I'm going to assume you're fairly close to sea level. Get a 178 or 180 main jet in that bike and your woes may soon disappear. You'll be in the ball park at the very least. Take a look at the jetting database stickied here. There are several members in the UK whose jetting you could copy and modify to your own needs.

Last edited by GGRider01; 05-04-2016 at 10:06 PM.