View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I guess I can shorten my earlier question.
Is it possible that a bike which runs good on a 42 pilot at 20 deg. can also run good on a 48 pilot at 80 deg. ?
No way possible, unless the laws of physics cease to exist when your motorcycle starts up.

I installed the LTR kit on my 05 MC250 without ever trying to jet with stock needle.Stock pilot was a 40, and LTR kit came with a 48. By going to a fatter needle, it is possible to go up on the pilot jet, so I didn't question the huge jump

The 48 smoked and blubbered all over the place at about 1200 ft, 60 degrees F. I installed a 42 and adjusted screw to 1/2 turn. Could have stayed with the 40. I already had the clip at the top of the needle. Ran great, but had a lean spot about 3/4 throttle.

I took needles out and checked with Digital caliper. LTR has same top diam as stock, so pilots will run the same. LTR is straight taper needle, where stock is dual taper. All power valve bikes I know of run dual. Don't know why or how they determine where the tapers should be, or how someone decides a dual taper bike needs a straight taper. Four strokes like multi taper. I'll try both, and decide on my own

I'm going to put my stock needle back in on the 2nd clip from the top and see how it runs. I may even go back to a 40 pilot. Air screw should adjust between 1 and 2 turns, or somewhere close. Don't believe in jet kits, the bike and carb manufacturers should know how to get top power out of their bikes. Bikes that don't run well, don't sell.
- - - - - - - - - -
"Old" bikes>
06 KTM 300XCW- returned-dealer scam- 1st owner seized & returned prior to sale to me as "new"
87 Yam YZ490
81 Yam IT250
84 Honda v45 Magna
74 Suzuki TS400
76 CZ motocross 250-bought new in 81-should have kept
74 Kawasaki G5100