View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2018 EC250 Build up

Well ladies and gentlemen.. I have succumb to the pressures of the new bikes. I went and saw the local dealer the other day to pass some time and was advised that one of the bikes was apparently mine. He dropped it off the following afternoon!!

So with this new machine, I have a couple new things to learn, and many things to setup.

She hasn't even been started yet, so I'll likely pull it all down and give it a solid PD before we go anywhere.

Rethal twin walls will be getting carried over from the old one.
Quick pull throttle will too! and the P3 pipe guard.

In relation to the PV, are the adjustments from fully seated? IE less preload on the spring makes the PV open easier resulting in more aggressive delivery? Makes sense to me.

What are the thoughts on the starter motor? Have read that the heavier guage earth leads are an investment, however anyone doing wet mods? I don't need a button.

Wiring harness wise I'll be stripping her back to minimal. No indicators needed, same for front brake switch. I'm not sure if I need to keep the OEM switch block either. Might just put a kill switch and the starter. I presume the same old same old with the nissin master that you get better feel without it.

I'll give the 13-49 gearing a go, but will have the old 50T supersprox stealth on hand (also taken from the old girl).

Stock rubber is going on the shelf, and I'll doll her in dunnies.

Suspension wise, dumping the middle bolt on the triple clamps. Has anyone felt the need to upgrade springs? Stock 4.2nm (approx .43kg/mm) seems a bit on the light side. I am currently using .45kg/mm on my 13 model with KYB SSS. Rear 53nm (5.3kg/mm) shock sounds about right though. I was going to start the forks at 13 clicks out on each and go from there.

What else do I need to know?

Radiator braces and bash plates, recommendations please!
What's the g.o. with the blow by plumbing (runs from airbox and pv vent back into the intake boot). Are people keeping this? Do the XC have a different airboot or just blanked off?

Squish will be measured up and probably factor in a head job up front! Jetting will be something like 42 NEDW#2 175.

Looks like a nice bit of kit. Won't look this nice for long.