View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom View Post
I was able to finish bolting up my rb-designs mod'd head and carb yesterday and get out for a little rip. As I mentioned before the man's work just looks top-notch. The first thing I did was another compression test. It was 148psi when I sent the head out and it now tests at 150psi. I told him to set it up for pump gas, but I expected we'd be up a bit higher than that compared to other readings I've read about. I've got an inexpensive compression tester I picked up at Autozone, which I assume is consistent if nothing else. Whatever, I emailed Ron to let him know what it tests at now and he said it was fine, more about getting the squish correct. I just wonder if there is something more to be safely had out of it. What do you guys think?
The thing with compression testers is that the variance between testers is huge, they are good to measure changes, but cheaper ones are not always that accurate. We borrowed a compression tester from a friend with a sprint car shop and tested the engines at around 200psi. Borrowed another friends cheap tester and it measured 150psi on the same engines on the same day.

Point being, if your tester measures low, then the change from 148 to 150 seems like a waste of time, but it is more likely that the tester isn't accurate in the first place.