Thread: VIN Decoder
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
Hi Anders,
I am more comfortable with the VIN of the older bikes, but I can tell you that the VIN starting with VTRFS is a 4-stroke VIN.
Having said that, I can also say that starting in 2002, GasGas designated the year model by the letter used for the 10th digit. 2002 was the "C" year.
What I don't know, was if GasGas skipped any letters as it worked it's way through the alphabet, or not.
If they didn't skip any letters through the years (someone else with better knowledge of the subject will have to chime in here for us to be sure), then the "P" (tenth digit) in your VIN would designate a 2015. If they skipped one letter in their designations, then the "P" would indicate a 2014; and if they skipped two letters, the "P" would be a 2013.

The numbers at the end of your VIN designate the run number of the bike. (It's order in manufacture of that model for that year.)

I know it doesn't help you much, but I just got back around a computer after a couple of days away, and haven't had time to do any further research. I will chime in when I find out more solid info.

I would love to have a GasGas chassis with a Yamaha 300cc 4-stroke engine. That is one great combination.

Good Riding!
Jim

Odd.... Because of this convo I just checked the VIN on my 2012... And the 10th is a "C". That makes no sense. I'm 100% sure my bike is a 2012 EC300 Racing. Both the VIN stamped into the headstock and sticker on the frame near the headstock both have the identical VIN. The frame has never been painted or modified.

The VIN is VTRECH2CXCG400102