View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I got in a ride on the '18s at Loretta's.

I went up on Friday because I wanted to ride the Alta, and I figured there would be a big crowd for that on Saturday (I was right about that). After I finished riding the Alta, I popped over to the GGs.

I rode the EC 300 1st, and was shocked how much I liked it. I had an '07 GG 300, so I know how the older 1s feel, followed by 2 KTMs. This bike was kind of a cross between the old GG and the KTMs, it has very little in common with the old GGs. It felt way lighter than the old 1s, maybe not quite as light in the front end as the KTM XC (air fork), but close. The test loop was tight and gnarly, and the suspension was like riding marshmallows on that; the trade-off was that when it opened up, it was a little too soft for me in the mid. the power was smooth and torquey, and there was plenty of it. Ergos were nice and slim, with nothing weird, and the bike was easy to move around on. Brakes were nice, better feel than the old 1s. Handling was great. I rode it about 5 loops, and really enjoyed it. I got going pretty good on it, and got to pass several guys who were trying the Alta on the test loop and couldn't quite gel with it.

All in all it is a great bike, and a serious contender, it's a HUGE upgrade from the old 1s (no offense to those with the old 1s).

I rode the XC 250 and it felt even lighter with the lower torque, like a bicycle, but was a little too pipey for me in the tight, hilly terrain. I didn't ride the XC 300, as I don't care for auto clutches and it had 1.

I rode the trials bike also, and really liked it as well, but that's another story....