View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Easy to change the gearing, and easy to change back.

Fly wheel weight adds rotational mass and slows the response down. You could try running a bit heavy rear wheel some time as it'll do similar. I see it as an option to smooth things out and perhaps become more tractable, not more power.

Port timing (via base gaskets) has a noticable effect on the power curve the engine makes. When it comes into its band, and when it signs off. Altering it also alters the squish clearance and compression ratio so be aware of the other variables.

Increasing compression also adds to the bottom end snap, but can rob from the top end and if taken too far will result in poor running and the requirement for excess fuel to keep it cool.

Squish clearance should be set once determining the port timing. A tuner will then machine the clearance, angle, and adjust the volume of the combustion chamber to meet the desired compression ratio. Gives a boost across the board and results in more efficient running, better fuel economy, and more stable jetting.

I agree with Gas Gas advice, but I'd do the head straight up too. I stand by this so much it was the first thing I did on my 2013 model. I've learnt not to waste time chasing circles until tolerances are within the desired range.