Thread: E-start 2011
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Default E-start 2011

My e start is very inconsistent and I can not figure out what to do with it. I am hoping to get some advice or known fixes.

Symptons: Engages and starts 50% of the time (or less). When it does engage it is very likely to disengage mid cycle.

Possible fixes: removed assembly, inspected, cleaned, re-greased. I moved bottom shim to top, top shim to bottom and measured the hole the bendix shaft sits in to see if it seating too deeply. I also inspected to ensure there was no preload on the bendix spring and that the bendix is not bottoming out in the ring gear.

I am wondering if the bendix spring is too stiff and disengaging while or even before it locks out.

There is one more thing I am willing to try and that is too add filler material such a steel shims to the bottom bendix shaft hole. This is supposed to keep the bendix from seating too deeply. However, the shaft has a shim/washer and a ring that is supposed to prevent it from doing that. From my previous evaluation all seemed to be working fine and the bendix was not seating to a point where preload was experienced.

Any thoughts?