Thread: 300 or 250
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
I agree with the above comments for sure. After spending 5 years on the GG 125 and transferring those skills over to a 250 2t it was a weapon for sure. But like most things once you learn proper technique, you generally keep it. So transfer those same skills over to a 300 and you have something! You would be amazed what you can make a 300 do with less work than a 250 or just a bit better than on the 250. Or just less tired at the end of a long ride/race. They are both great displacements, but anyone I know that goes 300 never returns to the 250. Even though I enjoyed all 350 hours I put on my 250, it was a stepping stone. Now on my 3rd 300. I also think age, fitness and body size play a role too.
I started with a 2010 300. Then added an S3 head and tidied the ports up. Then went to a race ported 250 cylinder with a custom head insert and tighter squish. Next was a brand new 2013 250 with head work done early.. Now on a 2018 250 with head milled before first ride.

I still get to throw a leg over 300's when I want.. and I agree it does a lot of things easier than the 250.. but I don't find it as fun. Plus a 300 costs more to register, more to roll out the door, more for pistons, and you could argue may or may not wear out the drive line (sprockets, chains, tyres, etc) a bit quicker too.. depending how you ride.

It's all personal preference.. and depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve too. Don't see many 250's doing the really technical international enduros... there's a reason for it.