View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Monster and Redbull are not supplements. They are sugar and caffeine and other junk. I agree that crap like that is the downfall of man, but there are some reliable and acceptable supplements that do help the body, when used for a specific purpose under the guidance of a trainer. That being said, I use food as a supplement, grains, pasta, natural proteins, etc. and avoid as much as I can regarding the "medicinal" style supplements. I do use Nuun extensively, it's a much better alternative than Gatorade, but that is the extent of my outside sources of supplements.
I ocassional deal with cramping, I just did a 200 mile race without any cramping.

I pre-race hydrate 2-3 days before the race, just chugging lots of water throught the day.
Second, I take magnesium and potassium pills starting at least a week prior to the race...one each in the morning and same before bed.
Any suppliments you take should start at least 4-5 days before the event.

Eating healthy is always a plus, pickle juice is good for post race attacks...you know those middle of the night screaming lock-ups.