View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 PM

I had a dbSnorkel on my '01 XC300 and consistenly blew 88 - 90 dbA during sound testing. Without the dbSnorkel, the stock FMF TC2 blew 93 - 95 dbA with fresh packing.

I didn't have any problems keeping the dbSnorkel on my bike as the attachment was quite sturdy and well engineered. However the whole silencer fell off at the '06 NETRA Rocky Mountain Enduro. The front mounting hole was worn through, long before I ever installed the snorkel, and the rear bolt finally sheared off. Went from being one of the quietest bikes to the loudest. Never did get the silencer or the snorkel back. My ears rang for three days afterwards too. The only other issue I had was the end of the snorkel pushed up against the rear fender.

Not only did the snorkel reduce exhaust noise, but it had a psychological effect on me as well. Not being able to "hear" the exhaust I tended to ride a little more aggresively and hold the throttle open longer. I'm thinking about getting another dbSnorkel for my '03 EC300 since, lately, I've been riding behind my son on a little Honda 50 and that bike is whisper quiet.