View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 03:11 AM

Dogs have it in their DNA to be very afraid of any predator that could kill them. Most domestic dogs will do similar behavior when smelling or seeing a wolf as a bear. If the wolf acts friendly they'll calm down but still be on edge. They will absolutely go nuts if they smell a Panther. Most dogs, even tough hunting dogs or Pits and Rotts will get really nervous if a big cat is around. Even when in a pack they don't like big cats. Somehow they know without even seeing the cat it's a bad matchup.

Kinda like if Frankie Edgar of the UFC was called out by Brock Lesnar. Although I think Frankie Edgar would take the fight! Even without his pet Tiger for backup.

If your dogs smell bears often enough and aren't threatened by them they'll eventually act more normal although they'll still be on guard until all smell/sight/hearing of the bear is gone away. Then if a bear ever runs from the dog, the dog will not be as nervous next time.

Off subject a little, but I was headed back to camp after dark yesterday and treed 2coons. with my bike. They both climbed the same small tree, and when I shut off my bike and started taking off my helmet one jumped into another tree, but the other one climbed to the very top on some small limbs that I thought wouldn't hold it. It almost fell out when I was standing right below it. When it got that scared and looked like it might fall I just moved on.