View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

The 2011 250R was primed for the race. New low profile rubber on two-year old Bib Mousse. 48mm Zokes in for a second increase in rebound damping. Set up mostly to contend for the half-sand, while being tolerable for the quarter-rock, and quarter-hard pack. Not too bad.

The Lectron metering rod was unchanged for the 3,000 feet and 47F temps, but I leaned the Power Jet a quarter turn to get rid of a touch of top-end burble.

The rain (snow) clouds were far enough away that I figured it wouldn't. Be a factor. I was correct. The dirt was perfect, reported the C racers who raced 4 hours earlier. Just moist enough to keep the dust down. No mud or puddles anywhere.

The wind had kicked up to a out 25 mph as the start time for the B race approached. I spent my time in a pal's RV, staying warm and trying to stretch out my spasming lumbar. My back had been nearly symptom free for three months, then last week it began to tighten up increasingly. Max dose of ibuprofen and off to the starting line.

The 11 of my 50B class lined up and waited. I had a thin Klim enduro jacket on on top of my other gear which was supplemented with some thin poly propolene long johns from my hang gliding days. As my line prepared to take the flag I gave the jacket to a buddy. I was pretty sure I would be too warm in it.

The flag dropped and I was 2nd off the line (I should've started in 2nd gear as per usual). That cost me my usual hole shot that I get in fron of a class that are all faster than me unless it is very technical.

We did three 10+ mile loops at an average speed of 15mph. There were very few high speed sections and those measured only a couple hundred yards each.

Through 33 (no pit) miles, this is the first race where I didn't drop the bike, tip over or even come to a stop. I came close, but I was always going forward. And, for a short time during the race, my back loosened up and was almost no issue. This is pretty common. On the ride home, however, it started to tighten up, and I forgot my ice bag. It's still stiff today, even after taking a muscle relaxer. Curse you, bulging vertebral discs !