View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Default First Ride on the Wide Ratio

I took the CR out for the first time this Friday for basic setup and 30 mile loop.

First, she is very smooth and very fast, great bottom end with a solid rush through the midrange and a huge over rev. Power everywhere without any drop offs. The power is so linear, that you don't feel you are going fast, but you are ripping it. Probably the fastest 250 that I have ever ridden and with less torque and more peak power than my GasGas 300.

Second, the IMS Wide Ratio transmission is awesome, it transforms the CR from an MX bike to a woods weapon. Third gear becomes a really do it all gear on the bike.The wide ratio trains just smooths out the delivery and drastically reduces the need to shift. It really puts the power to the ground with the auto clutch.

Third, the Honda steel frame,IMHO, is awesome, its compliant but corners awesome. I never thought I would ever say this but it will turn(upon reflection I am going to qualify this a bit) almost as well as my GasGas. At race speed the CR tracks well, you can get on it and go fast with minimal setup. Even with a bash plate, it feels light with a low center of gravity.

Fourth, WER did a complete setup (reanodized,rebuild,revalve)on the stock Showa suspension. Some people complain about the stock suspension and the open cartridge forks. WER did a great job, the suspension rides high in the stoke and is very progressive, it is perfect for woods work.

Overall, I rode with several people, some on new KTMs, the Honda could turn inside all of them and it was very smooth to roll into a fast pace and maintain it. I felt like the Honda, in a like new condition now, was a big advantage. I think Honda should have pursued their steel frame technology because this CR has clear advantages over many modern machines. Just my 2 cents, but riding is believing.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar