View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
I can relate to your goal. Since this GasGas is the smoothest 2 stroke I have ever had I'm seeing how close I can get it to a 4 stroke-Not that I have ever owned one I know I'll never get the over rev but how the power builds continues to improve.
So I was running
Stock cylinder,pipe, and squish (1.9mm), NEDW 4th (Yes this is rich but ran fine and filled in when the Power valve opens) 50 pilot, 175 main when the temperature was 30 F. Ignition soft, heavy FWW, Rekluse, Shortened silencer 4 inches This was really quite good. I have a lot of miles on this set up

I had another head from my 05 that was done for that bike. So I put it on my 2011

Stock cylinder and pipe, 1.6-1.7 squish , NEDW 2, 48 pilot, 172 main, 1mm power valve shim, FWW, Temp 50 F, Shortened silencer 4 inches, Ignition soft and hard (Funny thing is I liked the soft in the open when I was always running in the upper revs but in the single track I went to the hard so when I wanted to clutch it and go it responded faster-I am a 2 stoke guy) After 60 miles I think it is better than my last setup.....Time will tell.

For those non GasGas owners reading this- this thing really hooks up. I am just screwing with it more than anything. I enjoy the chase.
Went for another ride today. The shim and leaning out my jetting really works well. Very strong seamless power. Very easy to transition on and off the power valve because the power valve can hardly be felt. Running the ignition in the hard mode. Bike is fast and smooth. The only thing it doesn't have is great over rev. For what I do I don't need it. If you like the feeling of a 2 stroke hit this is not the solution. This is a 3 stroke solution. My 250 rr Beta feels radical compared to the GasGas. I can ride the Beta if I want the traditional 2 stoke sensation.