View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM

Take off the right side PV cover and see if the actuator plate is resting on the stop or not.

I would do the adjustment I described before shimming anything, as it does not alter the PV opening curve. You can shim later as an experiment. Any time you add/subtract governer shims you change preload and starting position of the governer. I feel this should be accounted for in the adjustment, so the actuator is always at the stop with just over zero preload with the engine off. Otherwise, you can have a situation where the governer is in a partially open position at rest.

My camera died some time ago and I really don't have the coin to drop on a new one. If someone sends me a nice DSLR I'll do a very proffesional technical article on the subject.

Edit: The other thing that will change this adjustment slightly is the deck height of the cyl., as when you add remove base gaskets. If you have ever owned/wrenched on a KTM, they have a ball joint end on the PV rod that can be adjusted for length to account for this.