View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECRider View Post
I replaced the linkage bearings on my GP300 at 70 hours & thought that had I regreased sooner they might have lasted longer.
After 100 hours I noticed some slack at the shock at the topping out point when I lifted the back of the bike. Pulled down the linkage bearings again to find they were OK.
I ended up replacing the lower shock eye bearing & even though the old one looked OK there is no longer any slack in the shock.
Might be worth a look, you can buy them as a Yamaha part in a kit with the lower bush, bearing & seals.
Cool hint! Much appreciated. In the AllBalls Kit I ordered the lower shock bushing/bearing is contained. Now that I read this I get an idea of what could be wrong. Before the first ride I could feel play already so I disassembled linkage/rocker arm and re-greased with high quality water proof marine grease and still had this play. Though I haven't ridden it more than twice up and down the road. Maybe the lower shock bearing is/was the culprit.

I need to dig deeper into that as I did visually inspect the shock bearings on my second bike when I replaced the linkage bearings at 36 hours. But they looked ok and they also looked good when I replaced the bearings and bushings again after 71 hours. It never was free of play and I now get an idea what the reason could be.

Do you have the Yamaha P/N at hand? Or can you tell me from which Yamaha (model/year) the spares would fit please?