View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNappi View Post
I am amazed to hear that the Sherco X-Ride was manufactured with so many obvious flaws. A hole in the air box? Completely dysfunctional fenders? 5 speed gearbox? My 2005 Gas Gas 280 Pampera may weigh 20 lbs. more than the 290 X-Ride, but everything on it works as it should and it is bulletproof. It has a similar 280 trials motor but with a six speed wide ratio gearbox, Similar 40mm Marzochi forks, Excellent functional plastic, and very compact frame at a fraction of the cost. I am very disappointed that Gas Gas stopped making this type of crossover bike. I am glad to see that many other manufactures are making an attempt to produce bikes for this new emerging market. Sherco has made a good attempt, but They need to do much better to impress me.
The 10 year old Pampera is as good, if not better, play bike in my opinion.

T.
I don't know why the 2005 Pampera weighs 20 pounds more but the reputed fixes to the T-Ride (sans gearing) are easy and cheap. I have never ridden an 05 Pamp but the 2000 Pamp I rode had trials gearing (1st 3 gears were very low and very close together) making the 1st 2 gears practically useless i.m.o. for trail riding. Perhaps GasGas changed the Pamps' gear box on later models - I don't know. What I do know is that I traveled to the Trials Training Center 15 years ago with money in hand to buy a brand new pamp but I test rode it and hated the gearing. About 3 years later I purchased a new Honda 150 for my wife which had less power than the pamp but because of gearing it was much more fun to ride. Both bikes were about the same size but the Honda was a lot heavier. Five gears (if they are spaced properly) should not hold anyone back from buying the T-Ride