Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
Definitely thread revival time.
its time to repalce the stock tires on my 19 EC300
Looking for recommendations
90% single track / slow technical
Hardly ever any mud!
Goldentyre Fatty front and Kenda Ibex rear, you can't go wrong.

I admit I have yet to run the Ibex- but it comes highly recommended in your application. That and the IRC VE33S Gekotta (gummy) are on my "next to try" list.

Tires I have used:

Kenda Equilibrium - Very good traction, very good tire, but can feel "wallowy" at speed. Not good in mud, as it doesn't clean out well. But I don't like riding in mud anyway! This is a big tire (which I like).

Goldentyre GT216x - Great traction, a smallish tire. No complaints.

Shinko 505 - Hooked up great in a straight line, not great in mud.

I found that it slipped sideways on roots - but note this! - I may have been running too low of a pressure. If you do not run enough pressure in a gummy tire, the knobs actually "fold under" I am told (picture the center of the tire carcass pushed up toward the middle of the rim). When this happens, the tire slides/slips. So I do not think my experience is a common one.

The new Shinko 520DC sounds interesting.

Goldentyre GT333 - One of the best all-around tires made IMO. It is not gummy, but has excellent grip because of the soft carcass that flexes around objects. It's tough - I've run it in woods, rocks, desert, mud, snow - it works everywhere and works well. I had to lengthen my chain to keep it away from the mudflap. Wears well, too, in that it works even when the knobs start to get shorter.

Goldentyre Fatty on the front - great tire, I can't bring myself to run anything else!

Just IMO,

Jeff