View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndog View Post
Laugh if you want but I expect 10K miles before I have to do or plan to do anything "major" to the 300.......that's when I'll look at all the bearings and maybe do fork seals if they do not leak before then. She'll get rings when she gets tired and needs it....right now it would be a complete waste of money.......Ting Ting is very fast and strong. I really can envision 10k before rings.
There are always many variables at play, and I agree, keeping a bike looking new and clean is very different to keeping a bike maintained.

I can tell you though, run 6-12 months here in the tropics without pulling your linkage to regrease the bearings and they will fail. Same goes for wheel bearings.

Engine wise, 16 000kms is a long haul. I'm confident that the engine could do it, but it would be out of spec by the time you got there and you might not have noticed the loss of performance. Ring end gap will be beyond where it should be. Skirt wear increases. Both wear the cylinder more than it would otherwise. IMO I maintain it before it needs it so when I venture out I'm confident that its as reliable as it could be. The longer you let it go, the greater the chances of something failing.