View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Site Sponsor

Hi FRRDave,

Quote:
It was suggested that this measurement should be done a couple times.

Shouldn't I take a measurement on the forward and back of the piston as well ? Why or why not ??
It is a very good idea to check this measurement three times. This way I can get a good average of the existing squish clearance.

No, do not measurement from front to back. The reason being that the crown of the piston can rock front to back on the piston pin pivot. This is why it is very important to lay the solder dead center across the piston and parallel to the piston pin (left to right).

The reason for bending the solder to a camel hump shape is to help stabilize the solder and keep it from moving on the piston as the ends rub against the cylinder wall as the piston moves up and down when rotating the crank back and forth at TDC.

It is a good idea to put a dab of grease or Vaseline on the hump shape to help hold the solder in place on the piston.

Quote:
With regard to taking more than one measurement, I am concerned about the repeated assembly and disassembly of my head from the cylinder. Would I really need to fully torque the head bolts just for this measurement ? In this way, I think I might save some compression on my head gasket (o-rings). I could also simply order a new set of head gasket o-rings, but don't know if its necessary. Your thoughts ??
No Dave, you do not need to torque the head each time, just make sure they are snug and tight by hand.

Also remove the o-rings from the head before performing the tests as it will not matter with solder test.

Thank you,
Ron