Thread: Soreness
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
I practice soreness prevention through training. I am a runner and bicyclist, so I just work to improve my upper body fitness before I ride. If it's shoulder and wrist, do pushups, pullups, and a rowing machine to increase strength in your arms. Pushups for the shoulders, elbows, and wrists, and pullups and rowing machine for upper and lower back as well as building strength to stand on the bike. Plus, pullups and rowing machine build grip strength.

I would guess that you aren't perfectly comfortable on the bike right now, and you are basically hanging on the bars. I suggest standing as much as possible, with a forward lean through your waist. Keep your legs as straight as possible. Riding in a crouch position (half standing) will wear your legs, arms, and back to no end. Especially your quads. Standing allows you to balance over the bike and use your arms for steering and hands for the controls.

Look for Shane Watts videos online. He teaches the best way to stand while riding.
If I could justify a gym membership and the money to use it I would. But I live 20+ miles from closest gym, figure in gas for my truck and membership I am looking at $200-250 monthly to workout. I will however start with push-ups and sit-ups again and see where that leads me. Pull-ups, maybe but not for awhile on that, weight needs to be cut before that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Vitamin I! Ibuprofen helps. Take at least 800 mg as this is the dosage required for the drug to work as an anti-inflammatory. I usually take the same dosage before a long ride or race, as I feel it helps with arm pump.

The soreness after rides will abate as you continue to get into "riding" shape. If I am riding on a regular basis (ie. weekly) I do not get soreness, even after a 60-80 mile loop of technical single track.
This reminds me of the Army, "Your leg broke, here 800mg and some water, you'll be fine" Common med for Army, they were like Pez candy!

I will start taking again before and after rides, I didn't even think about it honestly.....