View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Hills always look easier on video. There is a local hill that is almost vertical with only a bike's length run up. I watched some friends try to climb it on video and they all failed and I joked I could climb it on a pedal bike. I have since seen that hill an I had to eat crow as I couldn't make it up either LOL. But it didn't look nearly as steep/difficult in video as it was in person.
That is too true. These wide angle cameras have a real knack at both smoothing out the ground, as well as eliminating any angles of the hill.

While its also easy to sit back and have a laugh at someone struggling up what appears to be a slight incline, the conditions can have a lot to do with it and it can be somewhat difficult to see what the traction is like.

For example, a hill here that is usually quite easy and fun, but takes some commitment and throttle to climb became unpassable last ride simply due to being slick and wet. Typically I'd attack it in 2nd gear on the pipe. Doing so just kept the wheel spinning until the momentum ran out. Clicked up to 3rd to try and carry more momentum and dull the spin, but the same thing would happen. More speed helped, but still, no one made it up that day. 2/3rds was about the best attempt. Once stopped there was no going anywhere but sliding back down with the bike.