View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSE.ONE View Post
Ha Jakobi, ive had this issue of late as well.
Ive got 3 newish filters with tear up the top. I got sick of buying new ones and it still doing it so i spoke to Scotties about it, and it is fairly common. The cage can rub up against the seat and then the filter tears through.

I just tried last week gluing the foam in this spot. I used Kwik grip gel, just around the area of the tear (Mine where not torn through both elements)
Worked a treat. Have since washed the filter twice and its holding up well. (I wash mine in turps and then hot soapy water)
No breakdown of the glue and it hasnt melted the foam either.

I taking this as a winner and doing it to all of them now.
Let me know how you go.
Right on NSE. The first one I binned as it worked through both layers. The second one is just about at that point. I may try the glue trick.

I also wash with turps and follow with soapy water. I had been applying a nice big dollop of grease on the area as a fail safe.

I have been curious if the seat rubs while riding, or if the bulk of the damage is caused by fitting the seat. I also wonder if either the filter frame or seat part can be trimmed back to lessen the problem.

As mentioned though. Comparing the new filter against the old one, it was clearly visible that the older one was quite a bit more worn than I thought.